Saturday, January 21, 2012

Learning Spaces

Well the carpet cleaners have been and gone...now it is all up to me to begin my journey of learning spaces within my classroom.  Well as we all know to create learning spaces the most important component of this change is furniture and floor space. 

At present I have taken out half of my desks, found tables and a station on wheels that the students can stand at as they work.   Strategically placing this furniture, which is workable but not what I would desire, has been a move and reflect, move and reflect task.  I want to create optimum space where students can sit at tables in groups, pairs and independently - this will allow students to make choices frequently within a school day / week / term for their best learning space, that will reward them with the best work output. 

Tonight as I was searching the net for inspiration I came across the following site...The Learning Spaces Portal, which attempts to represent ways in which learning spaces, learners and teachers interact.  A partnership of two identities Research in Educational Futures and Innovation (CREFI) and the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD).  It is interesting to watch the videos if time allows but I found the photos - food for thought also.

This is a great YouTube clip that shows some learning spaces that include creativity, collaboration and inspiration. All essential ingredients needed to teach a living curriculum that will empower and engage its students.


No comments:

Post a Comment